This granite castle, built between 1910 and 1930 for the self-made millionaire Julius Drewe, is one of the most remarkable works of Sir Edwin Lutyens. Perched on a moorland spur above the River Teign, it commands spectacular views of Dartmoor. The interior is designed for comfortable and elegant living, with an interesting kitchen and scullery, and elaborately appointed bathrooms. There is a delightful formal garden with roses and herbaceous borders, spring flowers, and many fine walks in the estate.
The Castle is currently undergoing substantial restoration work, which allows visitors to see the roofing work from a high-level viewing platform on the scaffolding.